Thursday, January 28, 2010

Am I a Calvinist?


Am I a Calvinist, you ask. This is a common question among Christians. My first reaction to this question is that I become very uneasy since it seems very similar to when the Corinthians were saying “I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas.” The truth is that all Christians are “in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.” We are not “of” anyone else.

Now I know that people are not asking “are you of Calvin” when they ask “are you a Calvinist”, but the plain meaning of such a question seems to mean that you agree with everything that Calvin says. If I knew everything that Calvin believed, I am sure that I would disagree with some of his teachings. So no, I am not a Calvinist if that means that I agree with everything Calvin said.

In actuality, I think what people are asking when they ask “are you a Calvinist” is “do you believe the TULIP”, the acronym for Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace, and Perseverance of the saints. They are not asking, I think, if you agree with everything Calvin taught. But in that case, it would seem more proper to be called a TULIPist and not a Calvinist.

Am I a TULIPist, you ask. The plain meaning of such a question seems to mean that you are asking if I believe that the TULIP gives the best description of the way things are. Although the TULIP is fairly eloquent in describing the way things are, I believe there is a much better explanation. I guess I must call it the FPCJG, the acronym for Foreknow, Predestinate, Called, Justified, and Glorified.

The Bible says “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.”

That passage in Romans 8 seems to be the clearest and simplest explanation of the ways things are. So I guess I would say I am a FPCJGist!

...